Total Workout
After we returned from our San Francisco trip, Bryan and I are still missing that place so much. We really enjoyed the casual tour, in fact, we walked around pretty much, and when we returned to Pittsburgh, we have decided that we shd continue to do more exercise.
Thus, we started by playing weekly-evening squash with our friends, Rodney and Suzanne.
Then, last Wednesday, I decided to sign up for step aerobics classes.
Actually it was a tough decision to make becos I knew that I am going to be uncomfortable doing exercise with a bunch of strangers, but I have to thank Bryan for this. He has been encouraging me to go ahead. And with Philippians 4:13 in mind, I actually made my decision to sign up for the class. It was a Tues afternoon while we were in school playing squash, after that we went to enquire abt the group exercise class, and with Bryan's support, (i.e. his $30.00 cheque, for my 10 classes), I was ready for my first lesson.
I cld still remember when I stepped into class last Wed, I went right up to this "fittest-looking" lady in our class thinking that she MUST be our instructor. But I was wrong, she smiled a huge smile at me and pointed me to the correct lady who I must approach. I thanked her quickly and went to talk to my instructor. She welcomed me warmly and told me what kind of equipment I need to fetch. So i went to collect all the stuff i need....the steps (for step aerobics), those huge fitness ball (to bounce, roll, lean on, and balance..etc), the weights, and also one of those rubber straps where you hv to step at the centre and then u lift and stretch at the sides with your hands.
We began the lesson with some basic step aerobics. These steps are not new to me as I've taken them before in my 1st year in Poly. That was like, 1993.....OMG! 14 years ago! Anyway, the basic steps are easy but then when we get into more complicated steps I was kindof slow and struggle to follow the pace of our instructor. When I did one of my turn-around-step, there I can actually see Bryan outside, abt 10 metres away from me, what an idiot, he was actually laughing at me. (our classroom has these full-length glass windows so the ppl from outside can see us easily)
Back to my class, after the step aerobics we started to work on the fitness ball. First we sit on it and hop on our legs from side to side, then we do sit-ups and push ups on the ball. Then we also do weight lifting and the rubber band thing....(one day I must get the terms of these equipment correct......hahaha) Oh, the weights, I must confess something. Most of the ppl in my class are lifting 5 lbs weights on each hand but I am lifting only 3 lbs! haha...playing cheat. Soon, before you know it, one hour actually gone by really quickly. At the end of the class, the instructor actually came to tell me that I did great for my first time! This, coming from her, is really a big encouragement for me. And that, I also can't wait to tell Bryan when I came outside... but he was there trying to describe to me how clumsy I am.... Well, I admit that while I am concentrating on my leg movement, I forgot how my arms shd move, and vice versa... so after a while I abandon my arm and just concentrate on my legs, thinking to just do one thing at a time lah...
Anyway, it was only 1:30pm after my class and we decided to wait in school until 8pm cos we were playing our weekly squash with our friends. So we ate lunch in school, I made alot of korean sushi in the morning.
On Thurs, Bryan and I got muscle-aches. But thinking we shouldn't idle at home so we both went to the library to study. Well, he is studying there lah, I went there to borrow some cook books. But still this is still considered exercise nonetheless since the Pittsburgh Main Library is at about 1.5 miles away from our home, and we went there on foot.
Then, on Friday, I went for my 2nd aerobics class. This time it was a different instructor. Although we were still doing the same set of exercise, but her steps were a little more complicated to me, plus I am still trying to recover myself from all the muscle-aching... so I guess I didn't do well for this class.
Actually, I considered myself that I've done the impossible. Firstly I have conquered my fear to join the group exercise classes. Secondly, which is today, after 3 years in Pittsburgh, I actually brought up enough courage to join Bryan at the gym! I recalled how many times I have to wait outside the gym for Bryan while he was running inside on one of those complicated running machines called treadmill. Since I can do all things thru God who gives me strength, I can bring up enough courage to step into the gym with Bryan too. And I did it! Maybe some ppl may think that I am crazy to call for a celebration on such things but it is BIG for me becos I afraid of those big equipment in the gym. And I think ppl at gym are quite scary cos I saw some big muscular men in there before. hahaha...
Today Bryan helped me operate the treadmill. He entered my weights, and set the time and speed...and soon I began walking on the mill... At first I thought it was quite fun but soon I find it hard to balance myself when I increase the speed. I am still walking at a speed of 3.8 mph while Bryan began running on the treadmill right beside me. Well, I think I was inspired by his heavy breathing and all his running I began to increase speed to 4.4 mph and started running too..... After about 10 min, I realised I was too tired and I started walking again. When I have covered 1 mile I took a peek at Bryan's treadmill and he is already at 1.7 miles (distance covered). wow... I began imagining us, if we start to walk/run from home to school which is abt one mile, and Bryan cld hv already reached Squirrel Hill! hahaha.... When my session ended I have only burnt 70 calories. I think Bryan burnt abt 340.... not bad!
One thing Bryan didn't warn me is that I will get giddy after the machine stops. I didn't know it and hop off the treadmill only to find myself all giddy and I can't walk a straight line. So I hv to hold on to one of those equipment and the gym and I closed my eyes for a while.... wondering what's wrong with me. hahaha.... I feel so stupid. Then while Bryan finished his run I was already aiming at one of those stepping machines at the gym and while Bryan did his warming down exercise I tried on this new machine and I burnt another 40 calories! heehee... small, but who cares! We even had Indian curry for lunch after our workout! And on our way to the library, Bryan bought me a cup of Cappuccino, which at this moment, I am still drinking lei.....
Tired liaoz.... no time to check for errorssss...so, happy reading, and byee!
Thus, we started by playing weekly-evening squash with our friends, Rodney and Suzanne.
Then, last Wednesday, I decided to sign up for step aerobics classes.
Actually it was a tough decision to make becos I knew that I am going to be uncomfortable doing exercise with a bunch of strangers, but I have to thank Bryan for this. He has been encouraging me to go ahead. And with Philippians 4:13 in mind, I actually made my decision to sign up for the class. It was a Tues afternoon while we were in school playing squash, after that we went to enquire abt the group exercise class, and with Bryan's support, (i.e. his $30.00 cheque, for my 10 classes), I was ready for my first lesson.
I cld still remember when I stepped into class last Wed, I went right up to this "fittest-looking" lady in our class thinking that she MUST be our instructor. But I was wrong, she smiled a huge smile at me and pointed me to the correct lady who I must approach. I thanked her quickly and went to talk to my instructor. She welcomed me warmly and told me what kind of equipment I need to fetch. So i went to collect all the stuff i need....the steps (for step aerobics), those huge fitness ball (to bounce, roll, lean on, and balance..etc), the weights, and also one of those rubber straps where you hv to step at the centre and then u lift and stretch at the sides with your hands.
We began the lesson with some basic step aerobics. These steps are not new to me as I've taken them before in my 1st year in Poly. That was like, 1993.....OMG! 14 years ago! Anyway, the basic steps are easy but then when we get into more complicated steps I was kindof slow and struggle to follow the pace of our instructor. When I did one of my turn-around-step, there I can actually see Bryan outside, abt 10 metres away from me, what an idiot, he was actually laughing at me. (our classroom has these full-length glass windows so the ppl from outside can see us easily)
Back to my class, after the step aerobics we started to work on the fitness ball. First we sit on it and hop on our legs from side to side, then we do sit-ups and push ups on the ball. Then we also do weight lifting and the rubber band thing....(one day I must get the terms of these equipment correct......hahaha) Oh, the weights, I must confess something. Most of the ppl in my class are lifting 5 lbs weights on each hand but I am lifting only 3 lbs! haha...playing cheat. Soon, before you know it, one hour actually gone by really quickly. At the end of the class, the instructor actually came to tell me that I did great for my first time! This, coming from her, is really a big encouragement for me. And that, I also can't wait to tell Bryan when I came outside... but he was there trying to describe to me how clumsy I am.... Well, I admit that while I am concentrating on my leg movement, I forgot how my arms shd move, and vice versa... so after a while I abandon my arm and just concentrate on my legs, thinking to just do one thing at a time lah...
Anyway, it was only 1:30pm after my class and we decided to wait in school until 8pm cos we were playing our weekly squash with our friends. So we ate lunch in school, I made alot of korean sushi in the morning.
On Thurs, Bryan and I got muscle-aches. But thinking we shouldn't idle at home so we both went to the library to study. Well, he is studying there lah, I went there to borrow some cook books. But still this is still considered exercise nonetheless since the Pittsburgh Main Library is at about 1.5 miles away from our home, and we went there on foot.
Then, on Friday, I went for my 2nd aerobics class. This time it was a different instructor. Although we were still doing the same set of exercise, but her steps were a little more complicated to me, plus I am still trying to recover myself from all the muscle-aching... so I guess I didn't do well for this class.
Actually, I considered myself that I've done the impossible. Firstly I have conquered my fear to join the group exercise classes. Secondly, which is today, after 3 years in Pittsburgh, I actually brought up enough courage to join Bryan at the gym! I recalled how many times I have to wait outside the gym for Bryan while he was running inside on one of those complicated running machines called treadmill. Since I can do all things thru God who gives me strength, I can bring up enough courage to step into the gym with Bryan too. And I did it! Maybe some ppl may think that I am crazy to call for a celebration on such things but it is BIG for me becos I afraid of those big equipment in the gym. And I think ppl at gym are quite scary cos I saw some big muscular men in there before. hahaha...
Today Bryan helped me operate the treadmill. He entered my weights, and set the time and speed...and soon I began walking on the mill... At first I thought it was quite fun but soon I find it hard to balance myself when I increase the speed. I am still walking at a speed of 3.8 mph while Bryan began running on the treadmill right beside me. Well, I think I was inspired by his heavy breathing and all his running I began to increase speed to 4.4 mph and started running too..... After about 10 min, I realised I was too tired and I started walking again. When I have covered 1 mile I took a peek at Bryan's treadmill and he is already at 1.7 miles (distance covered). wow... I began imagining us, if we start to walk/run from home to school which is abt one mile, and Bryan cld hv already reached Squirrel Hill! hahaha.... When my session ended I have only burnt 70 calories. I think Bryan burnt abt 340.... not bad!
One thing Bryan didn't warn me is that I will get giddy after the machine stops. I didn't know it and hop off the treadmill only to find myself all giddy and I can't walk a straight line. So I hv to hold on to one of those equipment and the gym and I closed my eyes for a while.... wondering what's wrong with me. hahaha.... I feel so stupid. Then while Bryan finished his run I was already aiming at one of those stepping machines at the gym and while Bryan did his warming down exercise I tried on this new machine and I burnt another 40 calories! heehee... small, but who cares! We even had Indian curry for lunch after our workout! And on our way to the library, Bryan bought me a cup of Cappuccino, which at this moment, I am still drinking lei.....
Tired liaoz.... no time to check for errorssss...so, happy reading, and byee!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home