When B&C tour NYC...
Impression of the Big Apple..... well, we were glad it was finally over.
Cocoa wanted to go home by the end of Day 2 (still down with a cold), Bryan just couldn't stand the smell of the streets. We both just want to be done and go home quickly.
Here, strangers didn't greet one another, people on the streets are walking so fast...everything was expensive, except for dimsum and groceries in Chinatown. In every 30 steps you arrive at a traffic junction. There were so many vehicles and yellow taxis that dun care for the safety of innocent tourist crossing the streets not looking out for traffic (becos we are all busy looking at tall buildings and interestingly oversized billboards...
The best thing of all things, the Broadway Musical, I'm so glad we decided to catch one. At first we were held back becos of the price. Our friend, Woon Chiat, took us to look at the list of broadway shows that were going at half-price. At the salesperson's recommendation, we watched "Hairspray". It was funny but also meaningful. Actually, even at half priced, it is still US$60 per tix. But the show was really really good. Great songs, great actors/actresses, great sound, great everything. It was the best thing we did in NY.
I hate the subway. It was too confusing for me, but not for Bryan. The guys are really good abt directions, that I must admit.
We went to see the WTC site. Here, they call it Ground Zero now. I kept my camera, didn't want to take any picture here. From the internet I've seen travellers talked abt some tourist who were here smiling and happily posing for pictures, which I have to agree, that is no respect for the thousands of ppl and heroes who lost their lives.
The next best thing was Chinatown. Dim sum was good. Felt at ease where there are so many chinese and chinese-looking ppl around. We did some grocer-shopping at Chinatown on Day 3. Lunched at a chinese restaurant, big mistake. From the outside we saw those roast duck roast chicken and roast pork hanging over the counter and a big crowd of ppl queuing up to buy. Sat down, ordered duck lo-mien, and it came out super oily and maybe overnight leftover meat and yellow noodles bathing in oil. Nothing like what I had in mind...
With a stomach full of oil we headed down towards the direction of City Hall, we plan to see the Brooklyn Bridge. Probably a bad idea to follow a map meant for cars to go up onto the Bridge. When we came to an almost dead end, we took a turn and wanted to forget abt the bridge. Decided to walk to the pier area. Since we started off at some weird corners of roads, there were some midpoints that seems very deserted.... We really shd have learnt how to take the “tourist route” next time. The Brooklyn Bridge was a beautiful sight. Cocoa was stupid enough to bring along a camera without a memory card inside. (We unload pictures the previous night and forgot to insert it back) So, no pics was taken at the Bridge. So sad... here are some pictures from the internet.
We gave the Statue of Liberty a miss, becos of the huge crowd. It was a weekday, can you imagine how it will be on a weekend?
Too many people in a city really scares me. I am horrified now. I am a Singaporean, I've grown up in Singapore, I've worked in Raffles Place for at least 4 years, I shd be used to it. Why am I afraid of people??? I have no answer.
The purpose of this trip : To collect our new biometric passports at the NY Singapore Consulate. (if not for this reason, I dun think we ever want to visit New York....)
Thank You Note :
Thanks to Zijian, who drove us all the way and drop/pick us up from our hotel. Thanks to Shiang Yong and Daniel for their recommendations on the nice and cheap dim sum in Chinatown. Thanks to Daniel for his great tips on where to eat and what to see/do in NY. Thanks for the company of Woon Chiat on our Day 1 and 2 tour. Thanks to our friends who prayed for us, and we thank God for an exceptionally warm January weekend. Indeed, we felt very blessed and we were very glad to be back in Pittsburgh.
Thanks to my dear husband who didn't stop me from shopping madly...
Here are the pictures. I didn't like the city, it doesn't mean I didn't like snapping pictures....
Click here for pictures.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home