Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A bee in a busy Kitchen...

It is now the 2nd year that I've cooked for the students building the booth for the upcoming Spring Carnival.

Last year, I've only managed to do 2 dinners, and yet both dinners were served LATE. I've to constantly call them to come later to pick up the food. It was all bad cooking timing, afterall, last year was my first experience ever, cooking for such a crowd.

This year, I've become more confident in my culinary skill. And I even manage to cook 3 dinners this time in my small-sized kitchen. All these....to feed a crowd of approx. 15 hungry students.

Though I've never helped out at the booth, I've come to know that it takes a lot of hard work and team work to build up this booth. Hence, me, being one of the "older" Singaporean here, is actually quite honored to be able to help them out by cooking a few dinners, and I see it as an opportunity for me to challenge myself at how much, and how well I can do.

They've informed me early this year, giving me more time to plan the menu. After browsing through several recipes, I've picked only what takes the least effort to prepare, and also shortest time to cook. Hence, there are no complex recipes involved.

I'm trying to recall what I've cooked last year.. Claypot Rice, Grilled Chicken Wings, Sweet and Sour Vegetables, Spinach...and there's one more dish, I couldn't remember!!

Anyway, looking at what I've done this year.... I did better!

Dinner on 15 April 2006
Steamed Spareribs with black beans
Curry Vegetables
Furong Egg

18 April 2006
3-cup Chicken
Potatoes and Luncheon Meat in Sweet and Sour Sauce
Vegetables in Oyster Sauce
Stir-fry Satay Pork

19 April 2006
Pasta Marinara with Grilled Shrimps
Broccoli and cheese Soup
Late night desserts : Dou Suan (Cocoa's treat!)

For those who are curious abt how much these dinners actually cost....here it is.


Shrimps $ 9.98
Pork Tenderloin $ 7.00
Cabbage $ 2.19
Broccoli $ 3.98
Whole mushrooms $ 2.00
Chicken Breast meat $ 5.00
carrots $ 0.99
Pasta sauce $ 3.78
Corn oil $ 1.79
Barilla pasta $ 1.98
Pork Spare Ribs $ 9.67
Eggs (a dozen) $ 1.50
Fresh milk 1/2 gallon $ 2.18
Ground pork $ 1.00
Fried Beancurd $ 1.09
Chinese eggplant $ 1.15
Shallots $ 1.59
Garlics $ 0.99
Ginger $ 1.14
Coconut milk x4 $ 3.96
green vegetables $ 4.12
Lemongrass $ 1.00
Scallions $ 0.35
Fried Beancurd (additional) $ 1.09
Coconut milk (additional) $ 0.99
potatoes $ 2.00
luncheon meat x2 $ 3.58
Tomato sauce $ 1.20
Satay Sauce $ 1.69
Frozen vegetables peas $ 1.00
Yellow onions $ 0.80
Swiss and cheddar cheese $ 1.50

Grand Total $82.28

This is interesting. I have not eaten any of the above dinners I've cooked. I hv been sick! That irritating sore throat of mine is depriving me of even tasting what I cooked. And I have practically been living solely on plain porridge for almost 10 days now.

Anyway, Bryan's my food taster. He helped me taste almost everything...so he's like my "tongue" for several days. Anyway, whatever I've cooked for the booth he gets to eat for dinner too, so it has got to taste good!

I want to say this... Special thanks to Lionel, who've helped me in grocery shopping, transporting the dinners to the booth, and even volunteered to help me cook the rice while I concentrate on cooking the dishes.

And, on behalf of the students, thanks to WenZheng who has made those very nice Sausage Pastries for late night supper!! You've made those people there very happy tonight!

There hv been no time to take any photos, that's such a pity... and that's why I'm posting this... for memory sake! And also serves as a reminder to myself, SSA owes me $$$ now!

And finally, to the ppl out there working at the booth, hope that you've all enjoyed the food.

1 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Cocoa said...

You should hv! Huiling has been making snacks for these ppl and she even hand delivered them to the booth! There are egg tarts, cakes..etc. Now I feel that I shd hv been there helping too!

hahaha...all the greedy ppl here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home